The SuperHero RPG
Not registered? Sign-up now and role-play as your created character!

Become a legend and write your own legacy to leave behind. Become the hero. Become the villain. See yourself as a protector of the innocent or be an evil tyrant. Wreak havoc and bring chaos to our world or stop those who cause it. You are in control of your own destiny. You can be the villain, or the hero. Choose your fate.

NOTE: Any name that is taken can be made available, so long as the account is inactive or no longer being used!

ALSO: Check your PM Box after you've registered and successfully signed in!

Switch Accounts

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» Jessica Albert
Yet Another Minor Victory I_icon_minitimeToday at 3:26 pm by inquisitor

» Fusion Frenzy
Yet Another Minor Victory I_icon_minitimeToday at 4:27 am by Cobalt

» Beholder of the eyes
Yet Another Minor Victory I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:36 pm by Vorik

» Santo Dorado
Yet Another Minor Victory I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:03 am by inquisitor

» Captain Brigade
Yet Another Minor Victory I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 7:03 am by inquisitor

» Graymoon Institue of the Empowered
Yet Another Minor Victory I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:58 am by inquisitor

» Jack Hawthorne
Yet Another Minor Victory I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 6:55 am by inquisitor

» Speedrun
Yet Another Minor Victory I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 3:39 am by Arcana

» Frontline

» Revenant

» Pleasant Point
Yet Another Minor Victory I_icon_minitimeMay 7th 2024, 8:01 pm by Zonkes

» Homefront (Lore Submission)
Yet Another Minor Victory I_icon_minitimeMay 7th 2024, 2:28 pm by inquisitor

Top posting users this week
inquisitor
Yet Another Minor Victory I_vote_lcapYet Another Minor Victory I_voting_barYet Another Minor Victory I_vote_rcap 
Arcana
Yet Another Minor Victory I_vote_lcapYet Another Minor Victory I_voting_barYet Another Minor Victory I_vote_rcap 
ProwlerKnight
Cerek
Sage
Zonkes
Vorik
Cobalt

Word Count

Shrink your Links!
Enter a long URL to make it tiny:
Rating
Language 2: Swearing is generally permitted. However, the language cannot be used to severely abuse.
Sexual Content 2: Sexual content is permitted. References and writing about genitalia and sex acts are permitted, but explicit detail is not. Fade to black, or use the dotdotdot rule. (Let's keep it PG-13.)
Violence 2: Graphic violence is permitted. Explicit description or in-game narration violence is allowed.

Despite these ratings, keep in mind that there is a limit, and you should not cross it just to garner attention. Also, resorting to curse words is also like adding senseless fluff to your posts.
License
Some rights reserved. This forum, and all of it's content, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Discord Server
Disclaimer
Superhero RPG does not own any content written or distributed by Marvel or DC Comics. All of the content referencing to Marvel or DC belongs to its rightful owners. Superhero RPG does not claim rights to any materials used such as Comic Book, Movie, or Video game character images.
Superhero RPG does retain the rights to any and all posts made by the original authors that are a part of SuperheroRPG.
Copyright © 2008-2024 by Chellizard, Spirit Corgi, Atlas, and Pain. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written permission of the author or the Site Owners.

Yet Another Minor Victory

View previous topic View next topic Go down

INV ONLY Yet Another Minor Victory

Post by CaptainGrue May 1st 2018, 8:01 am

It was sunny out. Clouds in the sky. Not a world ending peril in sight. A white van was parked behind the Free Library of Philadelphia by Logan Square. Large text presented itself on the side with the phrase “Bennit Electrics” underneath a logo resembling a lemniscate and a lightning bolt. Apparently the library’s servers were a bit out of whack in relation to its power supply. It was a decent job, proof that Bennit was building his reputation. The same thing could not be said about the Octasquad.

The Square was brimming with activity. Students, scholars and tourists alike heading in and out of the library.  The Church temple loomed to the east side of the building, a great white pillar not ambitious enough to trump the skyscrapers that accompanied it. Still, it held an eerie presence and those who walked by it seemed to slow down.

Jeremy Bennit lay in the back of the van, fidgeting with a pamphlet. His trade as an electrician did provide a number of small conveniences, for instance the use of a large white van that doesn’t give off the wrong impression. He could house all his equipment in there, too.

Jeremy Bennit sat in the library hunched over a computer screen. He was trying to make sense out of the system’s infrastructure.

Jeremy Bennit also sat in the park, enjoying a kebab.

A few other Jeremy Bennits went on walkabout around the block, while one sipped from a mocha inside a café and one remained at the van’s driver seat.
This behaviour marked the greater portion of Bennit’s current life. Each clone would wear a different outfit, generally with some headgear to differentiate their faces. He had to go to five different hair stylists, and shop from three iterations of the same clothes outlet. It would be way easier to do this in Melbourne, he thought, Assuming everyone’s still wearing the same shirt and tie. Nevertheless, he had never had any incidents so far. Perhaps he was overestimating the ordinary civilian’s perceptiveness. It was easy to do that when you had eight sets of eyes and ears.

He unfurled the pamphlet and read it again:

THE CHURCH OF THE TECHNOCHRIST
PRAISE BE TO THE HOLY MAINFRAME
THIS HERE IS THE ANSWER TO YOUR CALL

Then displayed a series of numbers.  It was a pun, something Bennit could appreciate. Though even the thin layer of humour couldn’t mask the dread he got from looking at it. There was something sinister afflicting Philadelphia’s public schools. A hidden menace, kidnapping children and then releasing them three days later without any memory of being kidnapped. The Octasquad had been on the case, but it was Jeremy Bennit who was doing the real detective work. While working on the lights at a small primary school he learnt of one boy who had gone missing through a particularly eccentric maths teacher.

“Oh, it was a real scary ordeal,” The teacher had said, “But he came back just fine, without a scratch. Not only that, but Tim used to be hopeless in algebra. Now it’s straight A’s, ain’t that some twisted irony? Well I dunno what happened, but I think whatever happened to him freaked him out to the point where he wisened up. Realised life isn’t worth not putting effort into, you know?”

I’ve cracked it!

“Yes!” Café-Bennit shot up, spilling some of his mocha. Slowly he sat back down after he realised his mistake. Kebab-Bennit cringed.

Library-Bennit smiled, staring at the computer screen in front of him. Just a couple basic reworks and the library’s bandwidth opened up, no longer causing a strain on the server’s CPUs and relieving the system’s power usage. Satisfied with his results, Bennit sorted out payment with the Head Administrator and left out the front entrance. He could see the temple from here, as well as the Church it was partnered next to. That was the place he found the pamphlet. On the surface, there wasn’t much of anything that connected the school disappearances to this “Technochrist”. Nothing other than Tim’s math teacher who mentioned the strange pamphlet that Tim started bringing to school. Calling the number listed on the pamphlet just redirected you through to McDonald’s delivery. Like some prank.

There was nothing left to do but stake the temple out and find out who was placing them. Who knows who'll show up.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Bernard Fenns/Heart Attack: https://www.superhero-rpg.com/t9171-heart-attack
Jeremy Bennit/The Octasquad: https://www.superhero-rpg.com/t9177-the-octasquad
Lissandra: https://www.superhero-rpg.com/t9250-lissandra
Demetri Thales/The Eclipse: https://www.superhero-rpg.com/t12378-demetri-thales-the-third-eclipse-perhaps
CaptainGrue
CaptainGrue

Quote : "See alternate quote for punchline."

Warnings : 0 Warnings
Number of posts : 62
Humor : Light, dark, stale and zany.
Registration date : 2015-07-09

Back to top Go down

INV ONLY Re: Yet Another Minor Victory

Post by Jeannie Rose May 1st 2018, 11:15 pm

THE CHURCH OF THE TECHNOCHRIST?
huh, what a fun name, while site seeing Jeannie came across a funny ad for something.

do robots have church?
she thought there was an episode of Futurama where bender was in one but that wasn't real was it?

maybe it was a creatively named online gaming club, oww she did like games. however, when she called the number she got MacDonalds?

well it was lunch time so she orders a big mac and eats her lunch while pondering how to look into this further as the mystery had her intrest.
Jeannie Rose
Jeannie Rose
Mega Poster!
Mega Poster!

Quote : crazy but that's how i roll
driving everyone else insane
i'm the conductor of the crazy train Smile

Number of posts : 2488
Job : universe's greatest bounty hunter
Humor : why so serious ? seriously just cause we have to face life threatening danger on a daily basis don't mean we can't have fun with it ,instead off oh no we're doomed be like me and think gee wonder how i'll survive this....oh you don't have heal powers well you might not find the evil deathtrap as amusing i do then
Registration date : 2014-10-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Helel Amaranthine May 3rd 2018, 2:34 am

The Church of the Technochrist. It’s like they wanted themselves to be suspicious. Everything from the name to the aesthetics screamed a religious semi cult that was going to start abducting children one day in a misguided attempt to help them. Which coincidently, was exactly what they had started doing. If they were going to be honest, Leon honestly didn’t care too much though. Let them get themselves caught in due time, since they were absolutely shit at being subtle. Except a colleague had called in a panic about their missing child and the “mysterious pamphlet” left on their doorstep the same day. The only pamphlet in a neighborhood that was 6 hours away from Philadelphia proper. As said. Not subtle at all. But still subtle enough for the incompetent idiots that made up the police force.

Leon flipped through the pamphlet idly, reading through the usual babble of touted religious superiority as they sipped at their orange juice, though they were soon distracted by the arrival of their check. Signing it with a flourish, they downed the rest of their juice before standing up and heading towards the exit. The main building of the Church of the Technochrist loomed in the distance, a rather oppressive presence in this otherwise cheery square. They frowned slightly as they threaded through the crowd. Would it be better to call the number on the pamphlet first, or maybe it’d be best to just walk in and see what information they could gather before getting kicked o—

They flinched at the sudden triumphant yell that came from the table they were passing, hissing in pain as hot coffee splashed all over them, staining their shirt as well as the pamphlet they had been holding. Leon simply stood there for a moment as they tried to control their anger. Slowly, they plucked a clean napkin from Jeremy’s table to dab at the liquid, a cold smile stretching across their face as they looked at the man.

“Do share your good news.” They said icily, the clearly false smile still sitting unnaturally on their face.
---
Word Count: 349

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Leon Trabocchi
EXP
Helel Amaranthine
Helel Amaranthine

Quote : "Insert Quote from Character Here" or etc.

Number of posts : 10
Registration date : 2018-04-29

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainGrue May 3rd 2018, 4:44 am

Oh crap.

It had been a moment of unexpected excitement. He had completed his task at the library, and he had just spotted a young girl with one of those pamphlets. The problem with Bennit was that as each of his bodies had a separate brain for working on separate tasks they all shared the one mind. Therefore on occasions like this he would slip up and mix reactions. Except this time it was to the detriment of this man who stood before him. Man? Woman. No, definitely man. Christ, does it matter? They appeared frighteningly intimidating.   Mouth agape and wide-eyed, he spoke with flustered sincerity.

“Oh God I am so sorry, it was completely an accident, I swear,” He began to back out of his chair and stand up. They appeared no less intimidating from this height, either. “I’m happy to pay for a sandwich-” Why would she want a sandwich? “-no, a coffee-” Why does that make any more sense, you twat? “Jesus… Look, I…”

He noticed the pamphlet in her hand. All the contorting features of his rapidly apologetic face washed over in a near instant. He was still, and he spoke calmly. Eyes glued towards their hand.

"Did you pick that up at the Church?”

Meanwhile, Bennit had also been walking towards the Church. He could see himself acting the fool through a large glass window into the café. Even from this distance, the red haired Leon appeared just as intimidating. Maybe the Squad would be scarier? Bennit considered his last venture out, as he remembered arguing with a jewellery thief on the semantics between ‘breaking and entering’ and hacking into digital space. The Octasquad may have won the argument, but he wondered whether or not the whole discussion may have detracted from the motorbike-ninja aesthetic. He would need more evidence to elaborate further.

Bennit approached the Church, by the girl and the display of religious advertisements. She seemed far more casual than the person in the café.  She was eating McDonalds. He pulled one of the Technochrist pamphlets out and gestured towards her.

“You too, huh?” He pointed at the number and smiled. “I had a filet-o-fish. You interested in this cult stuff?”

It had entered Bennit’s mind that it might not be so wise as to be at the front of the Church just as he mentioned it to Leon. But there was a great amount of distance and he hoped the slight differences in appearance would deter any possible incident. Come on, Jeremy. Why would they even care?

Demetri Thales/The Eclipse: https://www.superhero-rpg.com/t12378-demetri-thales-the-third-eclipse-perhaps
CaptainGrue
CaptainGrue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeannie Rose May 3rd 2018, 10:14 pm

oh yeah fishy is good too Jeannie looked up noticing the man oh it's a cult? huh yeah, I like mystery and stuff. so even cults are online now how funny.guss everything is nowadays

huh, there was something funny about this guy like he was a bit distracted maybe.

but he seemed nice, and Jeannie was a bit of an airhead herself, so she doesn't mind so I'm Jeannie, who might you be?
Jeannie Rose
Jeannie Rose
Mega Poster!
Mega Poster!

Humor : why so serious ? seriously just cause we have to face life threatening danger on a daily basis don't mean we can't have fun with it ,instead off oh no we're doomed be like me and think gee wonder how i'll survive this....oh you don't have heal powers well you might not find the evil deathtrap as amusing i do then

Back to top Go down

Post by Helel Amaranthine May 14th 2018, 6:56 am

Leon continued to stare the man down (with their one inch height advantage), mirthless smile revealing none of the inner amusement they were beginning to feel. It almost made the staining of one of their favorite sweaters worth it. Almost. Bennit didn’t need to know that though. Amends must be made. Indeed, they were just about to cut off the man’s apologetic sputtering when his whole demeanor shifted rather abruptly. Their eyes followed the man’s, alighting on the soaked pamphlet. Interesting. Maybe this encounter wouldn’t be a complete loss after all.

Leon sat down at Bennit’s table, crossing their legs before gesturing for the man to do the same as if they were the original occupant. "No. A friend gave it to me, and I thought I’d take a look in my free time. " As they spoke, they leaned forward slightly, sliding the pamphlet towards the other man. "I don’t suppose you know anything about this church? It seems you have some interest in it, and I’m betting you’re a resident rather than a tourist like me. "

Leaning back in their chair, they released a rather dramatic sigh. "My friend was just so adamant about me checking it out you know. I guess I just want to know what the fuss is about…" Leon paused (for dramatic effect), a mischievous smile overtaking their expression. "How about this. As compensation for ruining my favorite sweater, you give me a little tour of the place. No money, just a little bit of your time. It’s a rather good deal, considering how expensive this originally was. " Originally being the imperative word, since it was a rather lucky thrift shop find.

"Please? "
---
Word Count: 278
Total WC: 627

Leon Trabocchi
EXP
Helel Amaranthine
Helel Amaranthine

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainGrue May 14th 2018, 10:35 am

Bennit couldn't help notice how Leon had seamlessly taken over his position. Their imposing presence was wearing off with each second as more of Bennit's mind turned away from hapless workaholic to the street detective. Quickly Bennit began to build a set of assumptions. They were investigating the Church it seemed, but to what extent? Was their friend one of those kidnapped? Was there a friend at all? Man or woman, they looked somewhere in their 20s. Maybe 19. A kid, really.

On presuming he lived here, Bennit initially seemed taken aback. Was it really that obvious? It had been years living here, yet he still felt like a new arrival.

"I suppose I am."

It was hard to tell just what angle this stranger was speaking from. In a world that seemed so full of super-beings, Bennit hadn't once had any interaction with someone on the same case as him. Leon left him with a deal. It sure didn't seem like a trap, and the change in pace excited him somewhat.

"Uhm, yeah. Yeah! Absolutely. Follow me." He headed outside the cafe, expecting Leon to follow. He would have the other duplicates try to stay out of sight. "Now you've got two main buildings over there. The Cathedral, your standard Saint Peter's and Paul's Church affair built in the 19th century. Then there's the Temple across from it. Built in the last ten years I think. They used to let people host events in there, but not in these last few months. I don't get a good vibe from it anymore, not with everything else that's been happening." He stopped a ways away from the Church, trying to stay away from his conversation with Jeannie. "I'm Jeremy, by the way." He smiled, offered a handshake and waited for an introduction.

~

As he scanned Leon, Bennit wondered if the young Jeannie might be hiding anything. Unlike the other one, he could tell Jeannie was just a kid. Her mannerisms seemed ditzy and all too casual. It was unlikely she had any prior connection to what was going on. He made sure he wasn't overbearing, and let out a laugh when Jeannie mentioned everything being online.

"Why yes, it does seem that way, hah."

Did she say 'fishy is good'?

"I'm Jeremy, hi Jeannie. Say, this cult nonsense is probably nothing but you'd be better off just leaving it alone. It's like one of those Mormon scams where they get you to pay a bunch of money for nothing." Bennit pondered if that was racist, and then figured it would be best if this body left before an incident occurred. "Well I should be off, don't want anyone to think I'm your dad or something."

Last edited by CaptainGrue on June 7th 2018, 4:48 am; edited 3 times in total

CaptainGrue
CaptainGrue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeannie Rose May 14th 2018, 8:28 pm

huh thinks so mister Jeremy? well, I'd hate to get tricked out of money. so thanks for warning me
she gives him a hug

that be funny if someone thought you were my daddy. now, what should I do? huh, I thought the cyber thingy would be fun. but if it's not need something else to do.

huh, shouldn't we tell the cops or something? don't want anybody else to get tricked.
Jeannie Rose
Jeannie Rose
Mega Poster!
Mega Poster!

Back to top Go down

Post by Helel Amaranthine June 7th 2018, 4:38 am

"Perfect!"  They said, nearly purring as they clasped their hands together. "Your help is much appreciated."  With that, they stood up and followed Bennit out the café. As the man began to speak, Leon let out an internal sigh. Only surface level information. Things they had managed to glean in ten minutes after googling the Church on their phone. Still, it was just the beginning of their… partnership. People were capable of the most interesting surprises. This was something they had to remind themselves of constantly, considering how tiring the majority of humanity was.

At the mention of things happening though, their interest was once again piqued. They knew about some of the disappearances, especially since one of their colleagues was one of the affected. Still, even with their vast (they liked to think so) information network, it was admittedly mostly focused on the arcane which this church didn’t seem to be dabbling in. If they were, it was hidden remarkably well and it was probably something they needed to get their hands on STAT.  Before they could delve further on that tangent though, the man turned to Leon with an introduction.

"Leon."  They replied with a smile, taking the man’s hand and giving it a light shake. "Now, what were you saying about things have been happening? It must be quite serious if it’s contributing to the… vibes of the place."
---
Word Count: 232
Total WC: 859

Leon Trabocchi
EXP
Helel Amaranthine
Helel Amaranthine

Back to top Go down

Post by CaptainGrue June 7th 2018, 9:18 am

Jeremy Bennit had a lukewarm relationship with anxiety. It tended to present itself in extremely menial situations. Such as one time he caught a glimpse of himself going to the toilet and also the expression on his face at the same time. Even just knowing what his own back looks like in immense detail caused a minute amount of distress.

True loneliness was another unknown to Bennit, as his apartment always appeared to be full and there were always another pair of his own hands to get things done. It had never crossed his mind to seek out someone else's help. It almost came as annoying to him that these two strangers would be so interested in his case. Yet he knew it wasn't his case at all, instead it was those that had been taken away and forgotten by those that should give a damn. Maybe it was the right thing to take a leap of faith with those that do.

After recovering from the surprise hug, Jeannie had suggested he call the police. Bennit laughed.

"I don't think the police are gonna do anything 'bout this one. Say, I gotta head off but if you're interested in this Technochrist thing you should stick around for a bit. I'll be back in a sec, just gonna grab someone." Bennit didn't really believe Jeannie bared any resemblance to Leon at all, but he figured it was best to keep things simple. Waving and jogging off, he planned to have this body walk around behind the library and get into the van. The others headed to rendezvous at the van too. He knew the next time Jeannie saw him he'd be wearing a completely different set of clothes,

~

"Well, Leon," He began. "Not to sound like a conspiracy theorist, though not like anyone's reporting on it either... Kids have gone missing, and they're being plopped back like nothing happened. They end up with one of those pamphlets. You said a friend gave you one, right? Did anything happen?"

Bennit proceeds to lead Leon over where Jeannie was, being gone less than 30 seconds. He was well aware how stupidly high the risk this plan was, it was just running off the hope that this would work out. Not exactly comforting. Then again it was perhaps time to leave his comfort zone.

Arriving at the Church, Bennit stopped in front of the strange blonde.

"Alright. Leon, meet Jeannie. She's uh... She's interested in the Church too." Bennit takes some time to tell Jeannie what he told Leon. "So what exactly are you two able to do? This is shady stuff, and shouldn't you be at school or something?"

CaptainGrue
CaptainGrue

Back to top Go down

Post by Jeannie Rose June 7th 2018, 8:57 pm

huh wasn't your clothes different Jeannie looked at Bennit confused then at the other man? huh she thinks smells like a man, must be like them pretty boys in anime's that are easy to mistake for a girl. she found the new guy interesting.

oh nice to meet you she smiles and waves to the pretty guy.

do like super powers I'm like the Wolverine guy from x men, but without the claws but that's ok those would hurt having in your arm all the time, plus how could you get on a plane with those, they'd stop you at the gate.

she giggles when he says she should be in school. no Jeannie is smart so she graduated a while ago, huh not sure how long not as important as birthday so I never keep track.
Jeannie Rose
Jeannie Rose
Mega Poster!
Mega Poster!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top