The SuperHero RPG
Not registered? Sign-up now and role-play as your created character!

Become a legend and write your own legacy to leave behind. Become the hero. Become the villain. See yourself as a protector of the innocent or be an evil tyrant. Wreak havoc and bring chaos to our world or stop those who cause it. You are in control of your own destiny. You can be the villain, or the hero. Choose your fate.

NOTE: Any name that is taken can be made available, so long as the account is inactive or no longer being used!

ALSO: Check your PM Box after you've registered and successfully signed in!

Switch Accounts

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» A Demon In The City of Angels
Superhero Role Play System I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:11 am by SicilianDragon

» The Deal and The Hit
Superhero Role Play System I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2024, 3:20 am by Cynical_Aspie

» The Most Dangerous Game
Superhero Role Play System I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2024, 6:45 pm by Vorik

» The Saint and the Sinner (Atlas)
Superhero Role Play System I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2024, 6:22 pm by Chellizard

» Randolph
Superhero Role Play System I_icon_minitimeApril 16th 2024, 8:56 pm by inquisitor

» Ervin James
Superhero Role Play System I_icon_minitimeApril 15th 2024, 9:53 pm by inquisitor

» Bloodfang
Superhero Role Play System I_icon_minitimeApril 9th 2024, 4:14 pm by inquisitor

» Rajabu Baraki (NPC)
Superhero Role Play System I_icon_minitimeApril 9th 2024, 4:12 pm by inquisitor

» Denver's Demons
Superhero Role Play System I_icon_minitimeApril 7th 2024, 8:17 pm by drazukeloski

» Morgan D'fae
Superhero Role Play System I_icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2024, 6:33 pm by SicilianDragon

» The Hell Hole that is Home
Superhero Role Play System I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2024, 2:54 pm by Demonhunter

» The birds of expedience
Superhero Role Play System I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2024, 2:10 pm by Demonhunter

Top posting users this week
SicilianDragon
Superhero Role Play System I_vote_lcapSuperhero Role Play System I_voting_barSuperhero Role Play System I_vote_rcap 
Vorik
Superhero Role Play System I_vote_lcapSuperhero Role Play System I_voting_barSuperhero Role Play System I_vote_rcap 
Cynical_Aspie
Tybrid

Word Count

Shrink your Links!
Enter a long URL to make it tiny:
Rating
Language 2: Swearing is generally permitted. However, the language cannot be used to severely abuse.
Sexual Content 2: Sexual content is permitted. References and writing about genitalia and sex acts are permitted, but explicit detail is not. Fade to black, or use the dotdotdot rule. (Let's keep it PG-13.)
Violence 2: Graphic violence is permitted. Explicit description or in-game narration violence is allowed.

Despite these ratings, keep in mind that there is a limit, and you should not cross it just to garner attention. Also, resorting to curse words is also like adding senseless fluff to your posts.
License
Some rights reserved. This forum, and all of it's content, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Discord Server
Disclaimer
Superhero RPG does not own any content written or distributed by Marvel or DC Comics. All of the content referencing to Marvel or DC belongs to its rightful owners. Superhero RPG does not claim rights to any materials used such as Comic Book, Movie, or Video game character images.
Superhero RPG does retain the rights to any and all posts made by the original authors that are a part of SuperheroRPG.
Copyright © 2008-2024 by Chellizard, Spirit Corgi, Atlas, and Pain. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written permission of the author or the Site Owners.

Superhero Role Play System

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Superhero Role Play System Empty Superhero Role Play System

Post by Chellizard February 22nd 2015, 11:37 pm

Superhero RP System

David “Spirit Corgi” Phillips
Patrick “Atlas” Marks
Rochelle “Chellizard” Reagan

Creative Commons Copyright 2008-2024

Index

1. Game Design
    A. Summary
    B. Gameplay
    C. Mindset

2. Technical Mechanics
   A. Posts
   B. Character Generation
         a. Player Character Generation
         b. Magic and Spells
         c. RP Mechanics
         d. NPC/Minion/Boss Generation
         e. Character Advancement
         f. Expunging Weaknesses

3. Outside Media
    A. Digital Usage

Game Design

Summary

Super Hero Role Play is a system design to allow players to generate superhero/villains and play them in an environment that places precedent on story-based interaction rather than comparison of stats. The strength and weakness stats will provide a guideline for players to understand the character they are role playing with for better application in plots.

Gameplay

When stories are put together the Original Poster (OP) will set the stage for the thread. Each participant will determine who is allowed within the thread by placing a tag on the thread next to the title in parenthesis (e.g. "Open" "Closed" "Invite Only").

Any character may impact the environment around them with the following limitations: You may not directly control another player or NPC introduced by another player without the permission of the other player. You may not kill another player or NPC introduced by another player without permission. You may not introduce a situation and resolve it without giving other players a chance to interact with the situation at hand without permission.

Mindset

All characters should think in the terms of their general experience. It is up to the player to establish the perimeters to which the story should unfold for the character and which circumstances should be presented to other players. Never should one player dictate what circumstances HAPPEN to another player without permission.

Technical Mechanics

All character history will come from posts in the world section, quest section, and alert section. Anything from Out of Character section and the Discord will not be included for Experience or for character history. Each post you make as your character earns you experience points that you can use to purchase advancements for your character.

Character Generation

Character Slots

Each member of the site will begin with five character slots. After six months, members are able to make as many characters as they are able to handle.

Player Character Generation

Characters will change with use of experience gained (read more below), however will only be modified with staff approval.

For each power you give your character, a tangible weakness must be included. A weakness is described as anything tangible that can be exploited physically or mentally.

Browse any character in our approved section for examples on powers and weaknesses*.

*Some characters may have been advanced with XP to eliminate weaknesses or acquire more powers.

All powers must be described as to how they were gained in your characters history. Some powers deemed strong may be required to add another weakness. This will be up to staff to determine.

Your character(s) can have as many powers as you want, so long as you have the appropriate weaknesses to balance your character.

If you find you cannot think of weaknesses, staff advises that you lessen what powers you start with and use advancements to unlock more potential.

Magic and Spells

Whereas all powers require at least one weakness, spells are somewhat different.

Spells are, usually, 3 spells to 1 weakness in ratio when looking at powers to weaknesses.

However, there are some cases where mundane spells may be at 5 spells to 1 weakness ratio, and in other cases, a 1 spell to 1 weakness ratio.

It is up to staff to decide.

Five examples:

Lesser fireball - Would be something to light a small fire, or a candle.
Basic fireball - Large enough to clearly hurt someone or something.
Greater fireball - Large enough to harm a building or vehicle.
Conflagration - Starting a large, uncontrolled fire.
Incineration - Completely destroying something with the use of fire. (A bit self-explanatory.)

This is a basic five tier spell list showcasing five different spells of growing intensity.

Most spells would be classified as a spell by including post cool downs, or prep time to cast said spells.

Cooldowns should be included for between use of spells.

Some spells may only be used once per thread, and in that case, may be a spell that would require its own unique weakness.

RP Mechanic(s)

An RP Mechanic is something your character can just do to add fluff to your character's personality, power, or etc. It would be something like walking barefoot and little flowers popping up where you stepped, or how rich your character is.           

NPC/Minion/Boss Generation

NPC/Non-Playable Characters that are used frequently by users of the site are allowed to have the same base structure as playable characters. NPC’s are not allowed, however, to gain any character advancements what-so-ever.  NPC’s must also have 2 weaknesses for every 1 power that they have.

Minion characters also follow the same structure as NPC’s.

Boss characters follow the same structure as Player Characters but can have no weaknesses if desired by the creator of the boss.

All NPC, Minion, and Boss characters will not change with experience and will only be modified with staff approval, alike to PC’s.

Character Advancement

Characters in the Super Hero Role Play universe earn character experience with every post they make in the world section, quest section, and alert section.

Experience will be distributed as follows:

500 words equal 1 Experience Point (XP) for regular threads.
350 words equals 1 XP for quests.
250 words equals 1 XP for alerts.

Experience can be distributed from one character to another character* so long as each transaction of XP is documented on each experience sheet.

*The character must belong to the same player.

Experience will be tracked in this section of the board using this template. You may choose to keep track of all of your characters on the same sheet if you wish.

Experience can be used to purchase improvements.

1. Purchasing Advancements

Characters that are staff approved must be involved in 1 entire thread before being trashed and replaced.

Characters that are a WIP and has not been touched by a staff member may be discarded to be replaced.

All items will need staff approval and in the case of powerful items or advancements, may require an additional weakness.

You can buy as many advancements as you can afford.

Tier 1 | [ 5-15 XP ]: This would be like a simple power up, single item, or minor increase in power. For spellcasters: This would be equivalent to 3 spells / 1 weakness when purchasing an advancement.

> EXAMPLE: True Form of the Realm

Tier 2 | [ 16-25 XP ]: This would be gaining more moderate powers, multiple minor powers in one, or a moderate increase in power. For spellcasters: This would be equivalent to 5 spells / 1 weakness when purchasing an advancement.

> EXAMPLE: Tyuki Gold's Advancements

Tier 3 | [ 26-35 XP ]: This would be gaining more powerful powers, multiple minor powers, or a major increase in power. For spellcasters: This would be equivalent to 6 spells / 1 weakness or more in one purchase, depending on complexity.

> EXAMPLE: Gravvy's 1st and 2nd Advancements

Tier 4 | [ 36-50 XP ]: This would be gaining very powerful powers, multiple major powers, or an incredibly vast increase in power. For spellcasters: This would be equivalent to 9 spells / 1 weakness or more in one purchase, depending on complexity.

> EXAMPLE: Katrina's Spellbook

Tier 5 | [  50+ XP ]: This would be gaining nearly game breaking powers, many powerful powers in one, or increasing a power to astronomical limits. This tier could also be used to theoretically purchase multiple smaller tier advancements. For spellcasters: This would be equivalent to 12 spells / 1 weakness or more in one purchase, depending on complexity.

> EXAMPLE: Elena Vexus' 10th Advancement

> EXAMPLE: Kuma Magicka

Once you purchase an advancement, you cannot refund it.

Staff have every right to deny an advancement as well as assign a weakness if they feel that one is required.
Staff are at their discretion to increase or decrease cost of advancement, depending upon complexity and or inclusion of weaknesses.

Expunging Weaknesses

Experience can be used to expunge weaknesses for a character via advancement.

This can only be done after 6 months of activity.

When expunging a weakness while using XP, the price would vary depending on the powers that you are trying to balance without weaknesses.

So, for example, if you had a character with superhuman strength, durability, and speed, and he wanted to have no weaknesses, they would need to spend XP equivalent to the advancement tier. Super Strength, Super Durability, and Super Speed are all complex powers, and as such, could be between Tier 3 or Tier 5 on our advancement scale, meaning each weakness being expunged would be anywhere between 26-50+XP per expunged weakness, depending upon power complexity.

Staff have every discretion to deny any player from expunging a weakness if the powerset needs a form of balancing.

Players that have 1 or more years of activity may submit new characters for approval with pre-expunged weaknesses but must pay equivalent XP required upon character creation to expunge said weaknesses.

Outside Media

Digital Usage

The use of images not owned by the site are acceptable as long as no solicitation of products is put forward. There is no commission of art on the site by a solicitor ( herein by referred to as Party A ) of an artist ( Party B ) through means of the chat box pertaining to digital media not owned by either Party A or Party B. Any breaking of this rule will be a permanent ban.

David "Spirit Corgi" Phillips
Patrick "Atlas" Marks
Rochelle “Chellizard” Reagan

Creative Commons Copyright 2008-2024

Superhero RP System

Last edited by Chellizard on April 4th 2024, 1:28 pm; edited 38 times in total (Reason for editing : REMOVED PRIORITY SYSTEM - 05/23/2020; Advancement tier system added 07/04/2021 - General edits 01/13/2022 - Added Expunged Weaknesses 02-10-2022 -- Added Pat)
Chellizard
Chellizard
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Quote : "A woman's place is in the sky with the goddamn birds."

Nekromonga (08/23/2017 10:05PM): Chellizard the Internet Born, Mother of Nerds, first of her name, Queen of the Gamers and the Roleplayers

Warnings : 0 Warnings
Number of posts : 5015
Job : I Work Full time/Artist/Charizard Enthusiast
Humor : [18:47:50] Spirit Corgi : Dear mods, I need my apps unapproved. If you don't do it an orderly time, I will compare you to nazis and tell everyone how you are stiffening my creativity, yours truly, a loving member of the site.
Registration date : 2009-11-15

http://chellizarddraws.deviantart.com

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top