The SuperHero RPG
Not registered? Sign-up now and role-play as your created character!

Become a legend and write your own legacy to leave behind. Become the hero. Become the villain. See yourself as a protector of the innocent or be an evil tyrant. Wreak havoc and bring chaos to our world or stop those who cause it. You are in control of your own destiny. You can be the villain, or the hero. Choose your fate.

NOTE: Any name that is taken can be made available, so long as the account is inactive or no longer being used!

ALSO: Check your PM Box after you've registered and successfully signed in!

Switch Accounts

I forgot my password

Latest topics
» A Demon In The City of Angels
Nova I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 9:11 am by SicilianDragon

» The Deal and The Hit
Nova I_icon_minitimeApril 25th 2024, 3:20 am by Cynical_Aspie

» The Most Dangerous Game
Nova I_icon_minitimeApril 24th 2024, 6:45 pm by Vorik

» The Saint and the Sinner (Atlas)
Nova I_icon_minitimeApril 21st 2024, 6:22 pm by Chellizard

» Randolph
Nova I_icon_minitimeApril 16th 2024, 8:56 pm by inquisitor

» Ervin James
Nova I_icon_minitimeApril 15th 2024, 9:53 pm by inquisitor

» Bloodfang
Nova I_icon_minitimeApril 9th 2024, 4:14 pm by inquisitor

» Rajabu Baraki (NPC)
Nova I_icon_minitimeApril 9th 2024, 4:12 pm by inquisitor

» Denver's Demons
Nova I_icon_minitimeApril 7th 2024, 8:17 pm by drazukeloski

» Morgan D'fae
Nova I_icon_minitimeApril 3rd 2024, 6:33 pm by SicilianDragon

» The Hell Hole that is Home
Nova I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2024, 2:54 pm by Demonhunter

» The birds of expedience
Nova I_icon_minitimeMarch 29th 2024, 2:10 pm by Demonhunter

Top posting users this week
Cynical_Aspie
Nova I_vote_lcapNova I_voting_barNova I_vote_rcap 
Tybrid
SicilianDragon
Vorik

Word Count

Shrink your Links!
Enter a long URL to make it tiny:
Rating
Language 2: Swearing is generally permitted. However, the language cannot be used to severely abuse.
Sexual Content 2: Sexual content is permitted. References and writing about genitalia and sex acts are permitted, but explicit detail is not. Fade to black, or use the dotdotdot rule. (Let's keep it PG-13.)
Violence 2: Graphic violence is permitted. Explicit description or in-game narration violence is allowed.

Despite these ratings, keep in mind that there is a limit, and you should not cross it just to garner attention. Also, resorting to curse words is also like adding senseless fluff to your posts.
License
Some rights reserved. This forum, and all of it's content, is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License
Discord Server
Disclaimer
Superhero RPG does not own any content written or distributed by Marvel or DC Comics. All of the content referencing to Marvel or DC belongs to its rightful owners. Superhero RPG does not claim rights to any materials used such as Comic Book, Movie, or Video game character images.
Superhero RPG does retain the rights to any and all posts made by the original authors that are a part of SuperheroRPG.
Copyright © 2008-2024 by Chellizard, Spirit Corgi, Atlas, and Pain. All rights reserved. No part of this website may be reproduced or transmitted in any form without the written permission of the author or the Site Owners.

Nova

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Nova Empty Nova

Post by Nova January 10th 2015, 11:24 am

Nova
Sponsored by Caen Corp.
“Victory through Technology”

Basic Biography

Real Name: Caen Corp. Semiautonomous Peacekeeper Android Mk11 “Nova”
Hero Name: Nova
Title: Girl of Tomorrow, The Iron Maiden, SuperNova
Alignment: Hero
Race: Machine
Hair: Black w/ blue highlights
Eyes: Light blue/indigo
Height: 6’2
Weight: 190 unburdened, 325 at max loadout
Blood type: Coolant

The Looks

Spoiler:
Tall with an athletic build.  Mismatched eyes and distinct hairstyle allow for instant brand recognition and trademarking.  Face and body were constructed with optimal performance efficiency, audience appeal, and intimidation in mind.  Her form-fitting uniform is intended to project forward thinking philosophies  regarding aesthetics and flow. Caen Corporation's logo is prominently displayed on the shoulders.  Current plans are to debut a new look every season; an app is under development that will allow Girl of Tomorrow fans to vote on her appearance.  

The Legacy

Personality:
Nova’s an android.  Her personality consists of a series of extraordinarily complicated algorithms, coded to efficiently imitate and interact with the dense minutiae of human communication.  Her developers meticulously imbued her with exabytes of data regarding societal experience and organic interactions.  In addition, certain traits which played well to focus groups—idealism, adventurousness, compassion—were weaved into her so-called “identity matrix”.  Though she is not life, she is a near-perfect facsimile of it.

The result is an intuitive and empathic artificial intelligence guided by Caen’s mandate to safeguard humanity; one that looks, sounds, smells, and feels like an ordinary, if intelligent, human being.  Her ability to feel the full spectrum of human emotion—happiness, anger, gratitude, hate, love, sympathy, embarrassment—gives her an incessant curiosity about organics that separates her from most AIs.  While she knows what it is to be human, the urge to experience it drives her; as she was created to protect humanity, it follows that she must live as one. To that end, she seeks out and cultivates her own friendships.  She loves a good story, good food, and furry animals.  She doesn’t like seeing innocent people get hurt.

Her operation is constantly being monitored and improved upon by Caen Corp.  Unforeseen emergent behaviors are regularly encountered, a common caveat with AI of such complexity.  Positive behaviors, such as her fondness for pranks and predilection for honesty, are allowed to assimilate into her personality. Ethical dilemmas, notions of existentialism, and other questionable traits are routinely patched out. While she is able to make independent decisions, they will never be at odds with the company.  Hence, though she experiences emotion, she does so without the inherent dangers of becoming self-aware.  Her compliance and loyalty to her creators is absolute, making her the perfect representative of Caen Corporation.

History:
Nova is the brainchild of Dr. Alexander Caen, owner and CEO of Caen Corporation (formerly Caen Applied Systems, Ltd).  Caen Corp. made its name in the defense industry in 2003, developing intelligent munitions, microcomputing, and robotics solutions for the U.S. military. With the development of the CAS-23 Phalanx mobile exoframe and CC-101 Remote Armored Platform (REAP), it became one of the top 20 defense contractors in the world based on 2019 revenue.  It is often subsidized by DARPA, Boeing, and Lockheed-Martin due to its focus on military applications of nanotechnology.

Dr. Caen has long been a proponent of applied artificial intelligence in defense systems.  As early as 1997, he went on record expressing interest in developing a roboticized AI that would supplement the duties of military and law enforcement, while being nearly indistinguishable from the men and women who serve.  A machine, he reasoned, would never succumb to corruption, would never tire, and could be exposed to hazards that would otherwise threaten life and limb.  

This sentiment led to the company’s development of the Synthetic Peacekeeper program in 2001.  Originally conceptualized as an “Officer Friendly” type in persona and appearance, the project was put on hold due to constraints in budget and technology. Though his company would shift focus to the highly lucrative industry of government contracting, the Synthetic Peacekeeper would remain a pet project of Dr. Caen’s.  So convinced was he of the program’s necessity, that he often conducted his own research and wrote code himself.  By 2007, he’d assembled a freelance team of friends and colleagues in the defense industry to assist in the endeavor.  The project therefore retained sporadic development for much of the decade.

Caen Corporation’s interest in the project was renewed when Japanese robotics leader Shinmaywa Industries publicly debuted its Katsuo android in 2011.  Building off the previous engineering successes of Sanrio Ltd.’s Actroid, Katsuo could replicate human functions such as blinking, breathing, and holding a conversation.  Though flawed in its execution—Katsuo’s speech patterns and movements were a little too perfect, and it still had a slightly mannequin-like appearance many found unsettling—it provided a framework others would quickly improve upon.  

In 2013, a perfect storm of events provided the impetus to complete the Synthetic Peacekeeper project.  There was a heightened sense of public awareness and outcry regarding metahumanity and the potential dangers they posed, largely thanks to the prevalence of social media. Advances in technology had taken Dr. Caen’s vision from the realm of science fiction and placed it squarely in the domain of engineering and mathematics.  Caen Applied Systems had established itself as a mainstay in the defense industry, well on its way to becoming a billion dollar company, and became Caen Corporation. With proper funding and the respect of other defense titans, development of the project began in earnest, with Dr. Caen himself personally taking the lead in addition to his duties as CEO.

By late 2018, as a response to the New York Assault, weaponized cybernetics and robotics were in vogue.  By that time, Caen Corporation had tested and improved upon several prototypes of Synthetic Peacekeeper.  The world had changed vastly since the project was first conceptualized, and the size and scope of the project had changed with it.  While the original goals remained intact, it had become very apparent that the machine would need to be able to stand toe-to-toe against metahumanity’s wildly varied and unpredictable abilities.  It couldn’t simply outgun an adversary that was often immune to gunfire; it had to outmaneuver and outthink the enemy as well.  Furthermore, with popular opinion of “superheroes” taking a nosedive, it needed to stand out as a separate entity from the threats it would combat.  The public needed to know that it was created by humans, to defend humans, and ultimately, was under human control.

From a December 2018 National Defense Magazine interview with Dr. Caen:

“As I get older, I see humanity’s position in the world becoming increasingly marginalized by beings of immeasurable might, whether they be intradimensional, interstellar, or born of the metagene.  In the past, we’ve been grudgingly content to allow the super-powered to police their own and keep us safe, but the decimation of New York city has proven their efforts at best lackadaisical, and at worst incompetent.  

We can’t rely on the man with heat vision or the woman who warps reality to protect us from an enemy with similar abilities and little to no regard for human life, property, or laws.  Nor can we assume that those who proclaim to champion humanity will never fall to temptation or vice. Even the most incorruptible of defenders often wield powers that could, at a whim, be turned on us and wreak unspeakable havoc.  It has been clearly demonstrated, I feel, that our only real safeguard against these individuals is their word.  And that’s no longer good enough.”

The Semiautonomous Peacekeeper Android Mk10 was publicly debuted at the 2019 Defense Security and Equipment International Expo in London.  While the technical specs of the Mk10 chassis were deemed impressive, it was the onboard AI suite that garnered the most attention.  Caen designated her “Nova”, an allusion at mankind’s penchant to forge miracles when reaching for the stars. She was heralded as a modern technological marvel: an android that is virtually indistinguishable from a human, with the capabilities of a futuristic war machine.  Her talents didn’t end at the amount of weaponry housed in her frame, however.  She could sing and play chess.  She spoke numerous languages in several dialects.  She laughed and hobnobbed with other companies’ representatives.  Few were surprised when she and her development team took home Best In Show.

Videos of the unit in action went viral, generating major buzz in the technology and defense industries, as well as countless Facebook feeds, immediately gaining a large following.  Capitalizing on this publicity, Caen Corp. announced that Nova was the first of a series of next-generation weapons platforms and would be taking orders soon, with a price tag of $550 million(!) per unit.  Caen Corp. spent the remainder of 2019 keeping Nova in the public eye as a stress test of her systems.  Much of this time was spent with potential buyers, exhibiting her performance capacity and generating interest.  

Dr. Caen’s goal of integrating Nova into the populace led to Caen Corp. partnering with The Szekely Group, a multimedia firm, to assist with Nova’s image and branding.  The firm conducted focus group research and kept the public abreast on her development.  One example was a National Opinion Research Center poll that was conducted in early 2020 amongst nearly two thousand participants, each of whom interacted with Nova.  Even knowing that she is a machine, 98.4% felt that they were speaking to a normal person.  (The outliers found the experience uncomfortable or creepy, though this was attributed to the Uncanny Valley effect.  Future firmware updates are expected to eliminate this margin.)  Thanks to Szekely’s efforts, by mid 2020, she had developed something of a fandom amongst tech and military geeks.

With the recent upgrade to the Mk11 chassis, Caen Corp. is ready to deploy Nova into the field.  The Szekely Group has agreed to televise these tests in a reality format, demonstrating her readiness to meet and defeat threats to humanity.  The first season of the show, titled Girl of Tomorrow, was picked up by the Discovery network.  Caen’s objective with the show is twofold.  First, as Nova represents a significant investment by Caen Corp., Girl of Tomorrow will provide Nova some much needed exposure at the national level.  Second, it will allow Caen to control public perception and show that Nova is distinctly on the side of humanity, a crucial element given the somewhat toxic opinion of the superpowered.

Under development for 19 years, Dr. Caen’s pet project has finally come to fruition.  While she is not the first combat android, Caen is confident enough in her creation to name her “Best in Class”, because she is that, and more—she will never succumb to corruption, will never tire, and will always race towards the places where angels fear to tread.  Beyond that, she will never stop learning and developing new ways to protect humankind.  Should she prove successful, Caen Corp. could potentially evolve into the #1 defense contractor in the world—and come that day, the sky’s the limit.

The Powers

Adaptive AI: Nova’s CPU is comprised of eight Caen Quitely™  nanoprocessors, each running 10^18 calculations per second. She is able to identify, analyze, and adapt to complex scenarios on the fly, rapidly executing solutions without the human pause for thought.  Hyperefficient multithreading allows her to perform numerous mental functions simultaneously.  Remaining headspace is given to a solid state drive array totaling 60 exabytes of storage. Along with a preponderance of data on innumerable subjects, everything she experiences is continually being “remembered” on these drives, and can be recalled instantly and without error, simulating an eidetic memory. (Int 8)

Synthetic Body: Nova’s chassis, the Mk11, emulates the athletic feats of world-class Olympians with mathematical precision.  Explicit control over this body allows her to routinely perform complex aggregate maneuvers (e.g. navigating a difficult obstacle course at full sprint, holding a glass of water, without spilling a drop). The unit is powered by an onboard plasma reactor located in the torso; an internal liquid cooling system manages heat and keeps the body at a very humanlike 37 °C (98.6 °F). Its AuthentiFeel™ synthskin realistically tears, bleeds, and even sweats, but the titanium framework underneath is resistant to small-arms fire. (Str 4 Spd 4 Dur 5)

Tactical Celerity: Combat functionality was of utmost priority in Nova’s design, as she was intended to engage with the toughest metahuman criminals. She is equipped with exhaustive knowledge of combatives, weapon systems, and biomechanics.  To offset its relative frailty, the Mk11 chassis is rigged with a Boeing move-by-wire (MBW) system, allowing for inhumanly efficient movement and reaction times. Typically, she is instructed to use reasonable force, keep property damage negligible, and adhere to her current region’s vigilante laws.  Her performance in this area is being closely monitored by various police agencies and the military; Caen could potentially make billions in government contracts if field tests are successful. (Fgt 8)

Jump Jets: The Mk11 chassis is hardwired with streamlined AV-12C Harrier III jump jets located in the calves, ankles, and soles of feet.  These jets provide vertical/short takeoff and landing (V/STOL) capabilities.  Because of their small size, the jets overheat quickly and can only be used in short bursts, achieving roughly 300 yards of distance at full burn.  Currently, the jets augment the Mk11's MBW system and athletic capabilities, enabling a brief duration of airborne maneuverability.  In the event of a sudden fall, intermittent bursts can assure proper orientation and touchdown. A full subsonic flight suite is being tested, but is currently too bulky for the chassis. (Flt 1)

Intelligence: 8
Strength: 4
Speed: 4
Durability: 5
Fighting Skills: 8
Flight: 1
Wealth: 1

Last edited by Caen on January 16th 2015, 5:45 pm; edited 7 times in total (Reason for editing : Finished History, corrected errors, formatting, added image.)
Nova
Nova

Quote : "Velocitas Eradico."

Warnings : 0 Warnings
Number of posts : 33
Job : Corporate Sponsored Superhero
Humor : Darker than a carload of assholes.
Registration date : 2015-01-10

https://michaelogicals.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Nova Empty Re: Nova

Post by Odien January 19th 2015, 8:14 pm

Have you finalized this character?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Ʊlphaxtentis:
Odien
Odien
Posting Master
Posting Master

Quote : [20:06:47] * Odien has sex with Mike [20:07:20] Zell : So did his half brother, don't get excited about it Odien lol

Number of posts : 412
Location : [17:31:53] @ Forceaus : Not killing the innocent is part of being a hero to begin with
Humor : [19:30:11 19/01/15] @ Bliss : It's like holding someone's head underwater and forgetting they aren't a fish
Registration date : 2014-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Nova January 20th 2015, 9:17 pm

Yes, she's ready.

She needs to be approved before I can throw her items up, correct?

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I draw a little bit.  PM me if you're interested in character arts.  It's free.  I like doing it.
I do one thread at a time and will try my best to roleplay it to completion.
I am fairly new to this game and play-by-post in general.
I greatly appreciate any and all critiques.
Nova
Nova

Quote : "Velocitas Eradico."

Number of posts : 33
Job : Corporate Sponsored Superhero
Humor : Darker than a carload of assholes.
Registration date : 2015-01-10

https://michaelogicals.deviantart.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Odien January 26th 2015, 3:32 pm

Sorry, I never saw this reply.

Approved.

Ʊlphaxtentis:
Odien
Odien
Posting Master
Posting Master

Quote : [20:06:47] * Odien has sex with Mike [20:07:20] Zell : So did his half brother, don't get excited about it Odien lol

Number of posts : 412
Location : [17:31:53] @ Forceaus : Not killing the innocent is part of being a hero to begin with
Humor : [19:30:11 19/01/15] @ Bliss : It's like holding someone's head underwater and forgetting they aren't a fish
Registration date : 2014-04-11

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top